Wednesday, October 22, 2008

~ oh . . . the pressure!! ~


Tonight I had the honor of filling in for Kristy at choir practice playing the piano. As many of you know, our ward choir is led by Brother Maurice Bowman. A man learned in the arts of music and feared by many (only when it comes to music.) I received the music earlier in the day and sat at my piano trembling at the idea of facing him. But when duty calls . . . . So I arrived at the chapel and sat down on the bench. Bro. Bowman of course was there with other members of the choir still sauntering in. He cues me to begin the intro to the first song and immediatly gives me a look like, " I don't know what you think that was, but it wasn't music." And so goes the remainder of the practice. The best part came afterwards when (and I'm not even exaggerating) every member of the choir stopped me on the way out to tell me not to feel bad, and that even the best piano players in the ward are nervous to play for the infamous Brother Bowman. Thanks guys, thanks for making me feel better! And Kristy, if you ever read this . . . . NEVER LEAVE TOWN AGAIN!!
P.S. Brother Bowman is one of the nicest men I've ever met. This was just a funny experience that made me appreciate those who also love music like I do.

7 comments:

Cambria said...

Yeah, just incase your self esteem was CRUSHED, everybody made sure you weren't going to cry yourself to sleep! Once again, great job Mer!

laurice. said...

I know exactly how you feel....when my sister was baptized I was asked to play at her baptism and totally froze. I don't think I hit one note right. My heart still beats fast when I think about it.

Elder Romney's mission said...

Im sure you were great! Ive heard about that man!

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

you were awesome! really. (he said almost the exact same things to kristy at the practice last night!)
nothing. personal.
i'm going to start practicing NOW in case that scary day ever comes for me too!

Ashley said...

Oh my! I know how you feel... he definitely is intimidating! lol

Jarmeg Family said...

So scary, way to step up! I am sure you did wonderful! I would've just said NO

BarbaraJo said...

I am sure you did fantastic. He could use a little "ruffle" every now and then. Way to go!